Wednesday, August 8, 2007

On turning 30.

My unflinching youthful wisdom has dwindled and I've come to the conclusion that I don't know shit.
And the uniqueness that I've embraced so tightly for most of my life has faded to the point where I realize I'm really just like everyone else. I'm thirty now, and the carefree, irresponsible days of my twenties are replaced by the age where I should know better, be settled and be adult enough to not feel awkward shaking another thirty-something's hand.
But I don't feel thirty and I don't feel the adultneass I'd imagined would come with my advaced age. I still describe other females I meet as "this girl or that girl" because the word 'woman' just sounds so matronly.
So I launch head-first into this decade where one is still considered young and where life is supposed to happen and solidify and adulthood becomes official somehow - only to be stopped cold by forty - that sort of half-way point in life and the start of being considered old.

No comments: